Publisher Law Journal Press anticipates an April 2012 distribution date for hardcopy supplements for Release 51 of "Structured Settlements and Periodic Payment Judgments" (S2P2J). Online S2P2J will also be updated April 2012 to include Release 51 materials. First published in 1986, S2P2J is co-authored and updated semi-annually by Daniel W. Hindert, Joseph J. Dehner and Patrick J. Hindert. Both the National Structured Settlement Trade Association (NSSTA) and the Society of Settlement Planners (SSP) utilize S2P2J as an educational resource for their certification programs.
Release 51 Highlights
Release 51 for "Structured Settlements and Periodic Payment Judgments" features a comprehensive Executive Life update including expanded and updated coverage for the Executive Life of New York (ELNY) liquidation proceedings now in progress. In related reporting, Release 51 also:
- Expands and updates prior reporting for life insurance insolvency procedures and state guaranty association laws;
- Offers advice to plaintiff attorneys about how to address the risk of non-payment by annuity providers; and
- Summarizes recent case developments impacting Aurora, the successor company to Executive Life Insurance Company of California (ELIC),
Release 51 also updates Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) developments and conditional Medicare payment requirements. Contributing author Peter H. Wayne IV provides current analysis and advice about Medicare Set-Aside (MSA) arrangements in liability cases discussing new and related case law, new CMS pronouncements and new CMS field office guidance with practice tips for structured settlement and settlement planning consultants, attorneys and claim supervisors.
Release 51 expands existing coverage of structured settlement business standards and practices including analysis of the following legislation impacting settlement planners:
- The NAIC Suitability in Annuity Transactions Model Regulation;
- The NAIC Annuity Disclosure Model Regulation;
- Dodd-Frank's impact on fiduciary and suitability standards; and
- The Uniform Prudent Investor Act.
Other topics addressed in Release 51:
- Structured settlement metrics for defendants and liability insurers.
- The Treasury's final regulations for IRC section 104(a)(2) incorporating amendments resulting from the Small Business Job Protection Act of 1996.
- The new IRS Lawsuits, Awards and Settlements Audit Techniques Guide.
"Structured Settlements and Periodic Payment Judgments" is now available in both hardcopy and online versions. For summaries of prior Release Highlights, see the structured settlement wiki.