Since it was founded in 2001, the Society of Settlement Planners (SSP) has defined itself as an alternative to the National Structured Settlement Trade Association (NSSTA); and defined its membership as more than plaintiff structured settlement brokers. The resulting settlement planning business model features:
- Structured settlement annuities as a core funding product, but not as a singular funding vehicle or product, for personal injury settlement plans; and
- Settlement planners, as "claimant centric", multi-professional, advisers who collaborate as a team and offer injury victims and plaintiff attorneys complementary knowledge, skill sets and work product.
To support and expand this settlement planning business model, SSP has developed and promoted:
- Standards of Professional Conduct for Settlement Planners;
- The Registry of Settlement Planners certification program; and
- Annual educational conferences.
To improve and grow both the structured settlement and settlement planning markets, SSP President Charles Schell has proposed the following strategy:
- "Study and improve our business standards and practices.
- "Develop "customer centric" solutions that help injury victims.
- "Build collaborative business models by focusing on shared interests."
SSP recently announced the agenda for its 2013 Educational Conference which will take place May 5-7 in Las Vegas. Featured topics and speakers, organized by S2KM-suggested categories:
Motivation, Marketing and Perspective
- The Art of Significance - Dan Clark
- Overcoming Objections and Managing Opportunities - Frank Maguire
- Life Lessons from the Lottery - Don McNay
Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Impact on Personal Injury Settlements, Structured Settlements and Special Needs Trusts - Thomas Begley
- ACA Panel - Thomas Begley; Pi-Yi Mayo; Karen Meyers
Qualified Settlement Funds
- Update - Pi-Yi Mayo
- Panel - Pi-Yi Mayo; Don McNay; Andy Cook; Mark Wahlstrom.
Settlement Planning Team
- Partnering with Ancillary Service Providers - Anthony Prieto; Dave Place
- Professional MSA Administration - Don Batchelor
- Tax issues - Jeremy Babener
- Partnering with Investment Professionals - Victor Wilkerson
- Working with Benefit Expert Attorneys - Peter Wayne
Government Benefit Issues
- MSA Allocation Process - Michael Greco
- Social Security Disability Benefits - Omar Ortega and Kip Daniels
- Spend Downs - Kristen Behrens; Thomas Begley
- How to Fix the MSA Program - Doug Shaw
- Settlement Trusts - Karen Meyers
- Funeral Trusts - Scott Leonardi
- Pooled Trusts - Jason Lazarus
Settlement Planning Products
- Long-term Care Insurance - John Darer
- Guaranteed Index Annuities - David Salko and John O'Connell
- Defined Benefit Plans for Plaintiff Attorneys - Rosendo Zepeda, Jr.
Related S2KM Resources: