Publisher Law Journal Press will be distributing hard copy supplements for Release 56 of "Structured Settlements and Periodic Payment Judgments" (S2P2J) later this month with online S2P2J subscribers receiving their update automatically and simultaneously. Online S2P2J includes a search feature and download capability as well as link features to access individual book sections, appendices, footnotes, cases and statutes.
First published in 1986 and updated semi-annually, S2P2J is co-authored by Daniel W. Hindert, Joseph J. Dehner and Patrick J. Hindert (S2KM's Managing Director). Both the National Structured Settlement Trade Association (NSSTA) and the Society of Settlement Planners (SSP) have utilized S2P2J as an educational resource for their certification programs.
Highlights from Recent S2P2J Updates
- Practice tips for minimizing the risk of an IRS settlement challenge.
- Updated summary of lessons learned from the Executive Life Insurance of New York (ELNY) insolvency.
- Periodic payment reinsurance as an alternative means of funding structured settlements.
- Risks of using off-shore companies to fund qualified assignments.
- Meeting professional responsibilities for product disclosures.
- Subrogation rights impacting structured settlements.
- Choice of law provisions for attorney compensation.
- Medicaid liens and the 2013 Bipartisan Budget Act.
- How the Brenston case impacts transfer applications.
- Document drafting for anti-assignment restrictions.
- Vermont's structured settlement protection act amendments.
- New considerations for negotiating structured settlements vs. cashing out.
- Defendant disclosure issues.
- Business practice update for consultants.
- Insurance company insolvencies - ELNY and Reliance.
- Medicare set-aside developments.
- Re-cycled structured settlement payment rights.
- Securitization of structured settlement payment rights.
- Australia structured settlement update.