Personal injury settlement planning conferences will start early in 2014 when the National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP) hosts a Regional Meeting in Miami, Florida on January 10.
Here is a preliminary listing of 2014 educational conferences and events which historically have addressed personal injury settlement planning and structured settlement issues, some of which limit attendance to members while others are open to non-members:
- January 10 - NAMSAP Miami Regional Meeting - open to non-members.
- February 8-12 - American Association for Justice (AAJ) Winter Meeting - members only.
- February 11-13 - National Structured Settlement Trade Association (NSSTA) Structures 101 - members only.
- March 18 - American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) Leadership Gala - open to non-members.
- March 27-29 - Academy of Special Needs Planners (ASNP) Annual Conference - open to non-members.
- April 1-3 - NSSTA Annual Conference - members only.
- April 27-29 - Society of Settlement Planners (SSP) Annual Conference - open to non-members.
- May 8-9 - NAMSAP Annual Meeting - open to non-members.
- May 15-17 - National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) Annual Meeting - members only.
- July 26-30 - AAJ Annual Meeting - members only.
- November 4-7 - National Association of Settlement Purchasers (NASP) Annual Conference - open to non-members.
One of the issues common to all of these associations' members and clients will be the impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), the most important provisions of which (including the individual mandate and pre-existing injury coverage) became effective January 1, 2014.
The following S2KM blog posts address ACA issues that should concern settlement planning and structured settlement professionals - and hopefully will be discussed during their 2014 educational conferences:
- Impact of Health Care Reform - highlighting articles and authors featured in the Spring 2011 Issue of NAELA Journal.
- Medicare Cost-Savings Components - review of Spring 2013 NAELA Journal article written by Alfred J. Chiplin Jr. and Bethany J. Lilly.
- Impact on Personal Injury Damage Awards - review of research paper written by Joshua Congdon-Hohman and Victor A. Matheson.
- Impact on the Collateral Source Rule - review of law review articles by Rebecca Levenson and Ann Levin.
For background reporting about significant 2013 structured settlement and settlement planning developments, see these S2KM blog posts:
For historic S2KM reporting about structured settlement and settlement planning professional association educational conferences, see the structured settlement wiki.